news and events
The new book by Alastair Laurence 'Danby: Four More Views of a History' was released September 2021. Exploring the history of Castleton, the farms of Danbydale, Botton Village, and the historic dwellings of the North York Moors; including our own Church House Farm, formerly Canons' Hall, which has been traced back to the Middle Ages when the Augustinian Canons of Gisborough Priory were given Canons' Hall by Robert de Brus. The present Church House farmhouse and closes are identified as the site of the medieval Canons' Hall with the same view of the church enjoyed by guests today that the Canons looked out across five hundred years ago.
'Danby: Four More Views of a History' (2021) and the first volume 'Danby: Three Views of a History' (2020) which examines Danby Parish, Danby Castle, and Ainthorpe; are available to buy locally at Botton Village Store, Danby Health Shop, The Moors National Park Centre in Danby and here at Church House Farm.
Local Agricultural Shows 2022
- 10 Aug 2022 Danby Show Get set for the 160th Show!
Events in and around the National Park 2022 tbc
- Feb Dark Skies Festival Theme: 'Nature at Night'
- April Easter egg Hunt at The Moors National Park Centre
- April Whitby Goth Weekend, Whitby
- April Tour de Yorkshire
- May Great North Folk Festival, Botton
- May WalkFest, across the North York Moors National Park
- May Duncombe Park Country Fair, Helmsley
- June Robin Hood's Bay Folk Weekend
- June Open Farm Sunday
- June Rosedale Walking Festival, Rosedale Abbey
- June Forest Live, Dalby Forest, Music gigs
- July Great Yorkshire Show, Harrogate
- July Duncombe Park Steam Rally, Helmsley
- July Ryedale Festival, concerts and arts events in historic venues
- July Ryedale Jazz Festival, Pickering
- July Staithes RNLI Lifeboat Weekend
- July Whitby Traction Engine Rally, Hawsker Whitby
- Aug North York Moors Chamber Music Festival
- Aug Saltburn Folk Festival virtual event
- Aug Whitby Regatta
- Aug Whitby Folk Festival
- Aug 1940s Living History Weekend Eden Camp
- Sept Staithes Festival of Arts & Heritage, Staithes
- Sept Yorkshire Fossil Festival, Scarborough
- Sept Annual Steam Gala, North Yorkshire Moors Railway
- Oct Dark Skies Fringe Festival
- Oct Railway in Wartime, North Yorkshire Moors Railway, Pickering, Hutton-le-Hole
- Oct Whitby Goth Weekend, Whitby
- Nov Christmas Craft Fair, The Moors National Park Centre, Danby
- Nov Christmas Shopping Weekend, Sutton Bank National Park Centre
- Nov Santa Specials, North Yorkshire Moors Railway
- Nov Northern Lights Express, North Yorkshire Moors Railway
- Dec weekends Santa Specials, and Northern Lights Express, North Yorkshire Moors Railway
The North York Moors National Park website has a wealth of information on events in and around the National Park. Visit The Moors National Park Centre in Danby to explore the exhibitions and gallery of changing works, relax in the cafe, and pick up books, maps, and guides to the local area.